Sunday, April 11, 2010

Crackered Eggs

I spotted an interesting looking recipe in The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham, which is delightful cookbook to browse. I decided to try the "Crackered Eggs" which use saltines, or in my case Zesta crackers.
Crackered Eggs
2 eggs
1 C milk
20 saltines
3 T butter
Pepper to taste

"Whisk the eggs and milk together thoroughly. Crumble the crackers and stir them into the mixture. let this sit for about 10 minutes. Melt the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Pour mixture into the skillet, distributing the bits of cracker evenly over the bottom of the pan with a fork. Cook slowly for about 2 or 2 minutes or until the bottom of the  mixture is lightly browned. Using a large spatula, cut the round in two and turn over first one half and then the other. Allow to cook for another minute or two, until the other side has browned lightly. Sprinkle with pepper and cut into wedges."

Read Before Serving:
"...Serve the wedges with syrup, or spread lightly with preserves or have them plain with bacon or ham." --from the book
It's kind of like using crackers to stretch the amount of eggs used, like you would use crackers when making meatloaf. The texture was good, but the flavor was a little plain. We didn't use syrup or jam which was mentioned, and could have made a big difference. There's a piece leftover that I'll try with some jam with for lunch. I think I'd use a little less milk next time, maybe it's an altitude thing, to help it set up a little more.  Everybody agreed this would be good with omelet or quiche ingredients. 

Pg. 151, Crackered Eggs, The Breakfast Book, by Marion Cunningham

Update: April 21 - I made the Crackered Eggs again. I scrambled them this time and that worked out really well! I served it with syrup which turned out to be another step in the right direction! The consistency was like a German Pancake.

4 comments:

  1. I love this cookbook. I have made many things from it over the years, but never this recipe. Your eggs look good. I find this a cookbook that is just basic. Not fancy but oh-so-good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea that I've never heard of! My husband eats so many eggs (4 or 5 a day) so I'm going to try this out in some scrambled eggs with salsa to see if he notices. If not, I can save some money and he'll never know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rcv'd the same book as a gift from my FIL, we run a small B&B in the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior, 2 eggs...4 servings?...and very filling! Cost effective, very flavorful...It's a keeper for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Breakfast Book cookbook is one of my favorites! It's a really good one to browse through and a charming read. I hope this recipe worked out for you if you tried it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...