Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cucumber Salad

White Bear Lake, Minnesota
White Bear Lake, Minnesota - the sailboat with the blue and white stripes is named "Surprise."
This summer we visited family in Minnesota. One of our favorite moments was on White Bear Lake (seen above) swimming and watching the sailboats. During our visit I browsed through the "Best of the Best From Minnesota" cookbook. On page 94 there's a recipe for "Peas and Cucumbers in Sour Cream." Back at home again I saw another cucumber salad on Paula Deen's website. All of this said the best Cucumber Salad is made by my mom-in-law. So in a typical move, I created a hybrid. 

Cucumber Salad
Cucumber Salad

Cucumber Salad
2 cucumbers
1 white or yellow onion
1/2 C low fat sour cream
1/4 C Light Mayonaise
3 T apple cider vinegar
1 t dill
Fresh ground pepper

Peel and evenly slice the cucumbers and place in a bowl. Slice the onion evenly and add to cucumbers with the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, pepper and dill. Combine. Place in the fridge overnight for the flavors to meld.

Recipe Inspiration: Peas and Cucumbers in Sour Cream, pg. 94 "Best of the Best From Minnesota," Cold Cucumber Salad from Paula Deen, and Gayle Nikolaisen

Review: The flavor is mild and creamy with a little tang. It reminds me of the sauce you get on a gyro when you order it with white sauce instead of red.

Suzanne
Cookbook Bites
Subscribe to Cookbook Bites (Google, Twitter, Yahoo!, AIM) 
Get posts right to your inbox (Subscribe right below my pic)

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled on your blog and was happy to find a pic of my sailboat. That's me with the blue/white sails. her name is Surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's so cool that you found the picture! :) We had a great time on the lake, it's such a beautiful area! Thanks for letting me know! It's nice to meet you! I'll be sure to tell my family you were in touch and about your boat "Surprise." My Dad used to sail in California, he built his own boat, but that was before my time. Hope you have a great day! And many great days on the lake!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...