Monday, May 27, 2013

Day-Old "Doughnut" Bread Pudding

I recently went back to college part time and my first class was a communications class. The final project was a group project and we chose to focus on doughnuts. My portion of the presentation was researching the history of doughnuts. I had never heard of Olykoeks, the Red Cross' Donut Dollies, or the Salvation Army's Doughnut Lassie's. With today being Memorial Day it seemed like a good time to remember these women and how they helped during World War I, World War II and the Vietnam War.
Salvation Army, Doughnut Lassie with troops.*

Wounded soldier with doughnut girls during World War I.*


"Did You Know? The Army's Sweet Role in Doughnut History?" Salvation Army USA

Read more about Donut Dollies & Doughnut Lassies
(What's up with the Doughnut vs. Donut spelling?)

+  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +

So, why Day-Old "Doughnut" Bread Pudding? My husband has been rebuilding an old Postal Jeep so doughnuts on Saturday morning have become a regular thing around our house since his dad has been coming over and helping. When Sunday or Monday comes around we usually have a couple of stale doughnuts left. When I opened the box of doughnuts to make the Doughnut Bread Pudding recipe this morning I had found I didn't have enough, but I didn't need a big batch so, adapt and adjust, right? Here's my version.

Doughnut bread pudding prepping to bake
Doughnut bread pudding prepping to bake

Doughnut bread pudding unbaked
Doughnut bread pudding unbaked

Doughnut bread pudding
Doughnut bread pudding

Day-Old "Doughnut" Bread Pudding (Serves 2)

1/2 Glazed doughnut (large)
1 Jelly doughnut (raspberry)
1 egg
1/2 C milk (plus a splash)
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 t lemon emulsion
1/8 t nutmeg (fresh ground)
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t Turbinado sugar

Pull apart doughnuts into bite size pieces and place into two buttered ramekins distributing doughnut pieces evenly. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. In a small bowl mix together the egg, milk, vanilla, lemon emulsion, nutmeg and cinnamon. Pour the mixture over the doughnut pieces in both ramekins evenly then press the doughnut pieces down with a fork several times to help the doughnut pieces absorb the liquid. Let stand for 10 minutes then sprinkle with Turbinado sugar and bake at 350 for 30 minutes (until knife comes out clean). Serve warm.

*Works Cited - Images:
1. WW-1-Wounded-soldier-and-doughnut-girls.jpg. Saopcom.org. Web. 29 Apr. 2013.
2 . Wounded-soldier-and-doughnut-girls.jpg PatriotFiles.com. Web. 29 Apr. 2013. 

Recipe Source/Inspiration: Doughnut Bread Pudding, All Recipes

Suzanne
Subscribe to Cookbook Bites (Google, Twitter, Yahoo!, AIM) 
Get posts right to your inbox (Subscribe right below my pic)

3 comments:

  1. You are such a good writer Suzanne! I never knew so much about doughnuts! What a good story. Thanks for sharing. OH, and also the recipe. I KNOW I'll be trying that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the story of doughnuts was really interesting too! Hope the recipe works out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...