Thursday, February 3, 2011

Book Club: Tassajara Cookbook

A couple of weeks ago I was at the city library looking for the The Tassajara Bread Book a cookbook by the head cook, Edward Espe Brown, at the Tassajara San Francisco Zen Center, published back in the 70's. The librarian sent me into the maze of books on the 3rd floor and I found the Tassajara Cookbook by Karla Oliveira. The bread book was checked out so I put it on hold and checked out the Tassajara Cookbook instead.

The Tassajara Cookbook is a beautiful book. I've made the Orange-Pecan (walnut in my case) Cream Cheese (pg. 19) which was a little too close to orange-mayonaise for my taste (how I got that from cream cheese and "1" orange--no clue), but the Sesame Marinade on pages 120-121 looks really good!
So, yeah, I have a confession: I actually bought some tofu. I'm not a big tofu fan, but like the button on my blog says "eat less meat." I'll make something and share what happens with you.

If you've got a minute to spare on
cooking meditation check out the trailer for "How to Cook Your Life." (It's on Netflix.) The movie's about cooking, making bread, awareness and being human

"When you wash the rice, wash the rice; when you cut the carrots, cut the carrots; when you stir the soup, stir the soup."- Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

If you check out the cookbook(s), watch the movie, or have a comment about tofu, it's always good to hear from you!

Take care,

Suz

1 comment:

  1. I made the tofu, but like with the Pho, I had a cold when I cooked it so I couldn't really taste it. It splattered all over the place while cooking, but seemed to caramelize okay.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...