Sunday, December 27, 2009

Heirloom Pumpkin Walnut Muffins

My sister Janel gave me a cool cookbook full of heirloom recipes for Christmas, "Heirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters." I got up early this morning, tip-toe-ing around so the dogs would stay asleep (which didn't work), and pulled out the cookbook and started reviewing recipes. The first one I wanted to try was the Pumpkin Walnut Muffins, pg. 45. I've had a can of pumpkin burning a hole in my pantry (so to speak.) I didn't have any heavy cream or mace on hand so I had to just sort that out on the fly. Here's what I did:

My Version of the Pumpkin Walnut Muffins
2 C unbleached flour
2 T ground flax seed (optional)
1 T plus 1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t cloves
1 t ginger
1 C sugar
1 egg (beaten)
2 t vanilla
1 C whole milk
2/3 C canned pumpkin
1 C chopped walnuts
1/2 C butter, melted
1/2 C chopped walnuts (for topping)
1/2 C brown sugar

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients and add the pumpkin and combine. Add the butter and fold in. Fold in the 1 C chopped walnuts. Don't overmix. (I mixed the muffins with a wooden spoon.) Scoop into muffin tin and sprinkle muffins with walnuts and brown sugar. Bake at 400 until toothpick comes out clean. (About 20-22 minutes.)

Everybody say "cheese!"
Review: I think they were just right. The consistency was really good. They baked perfectly and popped right out of the muffin cups. Just the right amount of spice to compliment the pumpkin. (Yep, there were 12 muffins... Mmmmm!) My husband liked them too! Hope you try them, they were a breeze to make!

Suz
Cookbook Bites
Subscribe to Cookbook Bites (Google, Twitter, Yahoo!, AIM) 
Get posts right to your inbox (Subscribe right below my pic)

1 comment:

  1. Made this again today since Halloween is on it's way and pumpkin is on the brain. Added some photos and more importantly a specific baking time. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...