Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lemon Granita

Yesterday afternoon I was quite jazzed to find 3 fresh lemons in my fruit crisper. This was one of those un-planned recipes where all of the ingredients were in the right place at the right time! Hooray for icy-lemony goodness! I spotted this recipe on Twitter from Pioneer Woman. My daughter helped me cook this fun summery desert. Here's a quick visual tour of the recipe:
Did I mention that I really like the color yellow? This post has just a smashing amount of yellow in it! Love it! Lemony-yellow... Right. Moving along. Here's the recipe:

Lemon Granita
3 Lemons
1/2 C sugar
3 C water

Wash, then zest the lemons. Add the lemon zest to a saucepan. Juice the lemons, then add the lemon juice to the pan. Add the sugar and mix. Bring to a boil then let it reduce just a little so it's not runny like water, a little more syrup - but not a thick syrup. Remove from heat and add the 3 cups of water. Pour mixture into a freezer friendly container and place the mixture in the freezer for 1 hour. Then with a fork break up any ice crystals. "Rinse & Repeat" well, just as a figure of speech - no rinsing! Put the Granita back in the freezer and keep going back about every hour, to break up the crystals with a fork until you end up with...
It smelled like a lemon drop had arrived and moved into the kitchen. If you like sweet summer lemonade chances are you'll like Lemon Granita. Better than a snow cone, less fat than ice cream. Yum! (I kept setting the kitchen timer so I wouldn't forget to go fluff the granita crystals.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...