Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mom's Potato Salad

Are you a dill pickle fan? Do you enjoy the crunch of fresh onion and celery? I bring you my mom's potato salad! So, much better than store bought! Seriously. My mom passed down the quintessential potato salad serving dish: the "yellow tupperware" which is perfect for this salad. Don't suffer with store bought potato salad any longer. Make some fresh potato salad at home instead!
This recipe is a little different. You boil the potatoes whole and leave the potato skins on in the salad.
The recipe calls for celery seed. Have you ever made anything with celery seed? I think this is the only recipe I have made that calls for it. It is vital to the taste, just like the dill pickles.
Mom's Potato Salad
6-8 White Rose or Red potatoes
3 stalks of celery (finely chopped)  or 1/4 t celery seeds (I used both, I know... living on the edge)
1/2 C dill pickles (chopped) can use sweet pickles if you prefer
1 1/2 T mustard
1/4 C mayonnaise (more as needed) I used about another 1/2 C
Celery salt 1 dash
Onion salt or powder 1 dash
1/4 t seasoned salt
1 medium onion finely chopped (Sweet or Bermuda) I used yellow onion
3-4 hard boiled eggs (I used 2, chopped and added to the salad)


Scrub the potatoes and leave the potato skins on. Remove blemishes from the potatoes. Boil whole potatoes until tender then cool in water. Cut potatoes into cubes and add to a large bowl. If you use the celery seed grind it with a mortar and pestle. In a separate bowl combine mustard, mayonnaise and seasonings. Coarsely chop 3 hard-boiled eggs and stir into salad. Add additional mustard and pepper to taste (I also added a couple teaspoons of the dill pickle juice). Stir to combine. Add more mayonnaise and mustard if necessary. Slice the remaining egg to garnish and make a daisy  of sliced eggs. Add a sprig of parsley and finish with a sprinkle of paprika. Chill. Let the salad sit in the fridge overnight for a more intense and yummy flavor. 

Recipe Source: My mom

Who knew celery seed was so good? Seriously.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm looks yummy! I also loved that semi-german potato salad Eric made for a July BBQ at Gayle and Arnie's. I think it had Bacon in it too, but I can't remember. Sooo good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...