Sunday, January 10, 2010

Split Pea Soup (Vegetarian)


I'm not a fan of split pea soup, but yesterday, Eric bought a new vegetarian cookbook so I decided to try making the soup without ham. The recipe alone was pretty plain. So after reviewing several recipes... I walked my own path, again.

Simplest Split Pea Soup
(pg. 118 How to Cook Everything Vegetarian)
2 C dried split peas
6 C Vegetable broth

My Version of Split Pea Soup (Vegetarian)
2 C split peas
2 boxes of vegetable broth (ended up removing about 1-2 C)
1/2 C chopped onion
1 potato chopped
1/2 t celery flakes
pinch thyme
1 bay leaf
fresh ground pepper
1 T butter
1/2-1 C milk

Rinse the peas in a colander and pick out anything that looks funky. Start with broth and combine all ingredients. Cook for about 1-2 hours, remove the bay leaf and mash. ( I ended up taking out some of the broth and replacing it with the milk.)

Review: The peas were still kind of chewy and starchy. The broth became less carrot-y as the soup simmered. I think next time I'll try frozen peas. Mixed reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...